Scotty's Recipe Story
At the time of working for Gordon Ramsay, I was living in Shoreditch, home to the infamous Brick Lane and some of the most authentic Indian restaurants you can find in London. I had long held a passion for Indian food from my parents who would often engage my sister and I with awe-inspiring tales of their time spent there. It became a mainstay on our menus at home as a result. My passion was heightened living in this little cultural mecca in Shoreditch, and so my at-home experimentation began (in between my 18 hour+ shifts with Gordan that is!). Whilst touring with Sir Paul one year at the Yankees Stadium in New York City, Alec Baldin was invited backstage as I was prepping a plant-based Biryani curry. Alec became a huge fan of the Biryani and could not believe it when I told him it was solely plant-based.
I think that night he indulged in 3 serves ;)
|PLANT-BASED MEATBALLS INGREDIENTS||QUANTITIES|
|Cardamon pods (crushed)||10 pods|
|Curry leaf (optional)||1g|
|Coconut oil (or veg oil)||20ml|
|Purple eshallots (or white onions)||30g|
|Fresh turmeric (optional)||3g|
|Saffron (optional)||1 pinch|
|White pepper||1 pinch|
|Fresh Dill (root and all)||3g (1 tsp)|
|Fresh Coriander||3g (1 tsp)|
|Long green chilli (optional)||1.5g (1/2 tsp)|
|Long red chilli (optional)||1.5g (1/2 tsp)|
|Ground turmeric||1.5g (1/2 tsp)|
|Garam Masala||1.5g (1/2 tsp)|
|Curry powder||6g (2 tsp)|
|Veg stock (powder) (1/2 tsp)||(1/2 tsp) + 200ml water|
|Lemon juice & zest||1/2 lemon|
|Lime juice & zest||1/2 lime|
|VEEF (plant based patties) - 1 pack (2 patties) / or any plant based beef burgers||226g|
|Basmati rice (white or brown)||1 cup (200g)|
|1 sweet potato (peeled and diced into 1.5cm squares)||About 160g|
|1/4 of a cauliflower (cut into 3cm florrets)||About 120g|
|Field mushroom (or button mushroom, or any mushroom) - cut into 3cm pieces||about 120g|
|1/2 red onion (sliced 1cm thick)||1/2 onion|
|Curry powder||3g (1tsp)|
|Coconut oil (or veg oil)||20ml|
|AND ADDITIONAL CONDIMENTS||QUANTITIES|
|Baby spinach (1 pack)||280g|
|Mango chutney (1 jar)||100g|
|Coconut yoghurt (1 jar)||100g|
|Lime pickle (1 jar) - optional||80g|
|Roasted chopped cashew nuts||80g|
- Measure out all ingredients.
- Dice shallots, turmeric, ginger & garlic. Chop dill, coriander & curry leaves
- Zest & juice lemons/limes.
- Break up the veef patties (plant based beef patties) into small pieces to look like mince.
- Prepare the roast veggies - Peel & Dice sweet potato into 1.5cm cubes, cauliflower (cut into 3cm florets), field mushroom (or button mushrooms or any mushroom) cut into 3cm pieces, slice red onion into 1cm thick pieces.
- Pre-heat oven to 180c.
- Wash basmati rice in cold water, rinse a few times then let sit in the water for 10 min.
- Place sweet potato cubes into bowl toss with coconut or light veg oil add a pinch of curry powder; salt & pepper then place on an oven tray & bake at 180 for about 20-25 min or until cooked through & golden. Set aside.
- Place prepared cauliflower, mushrooms & red onion into a bowl toss with coconut or light veg oil add a pinch of curry powder; salt & pepper then place on an oven tray & bake at 180 for about 15-20min or until cooked through & golden. Set aside.
- Bring a large oven proof pan up to a medium heat, add coconut oil, then add broken up plant based beef patties, colour until golden brown then add diced shallots or onion, stir then add chopped garlic, ginger, turmeric, (optional) red banana chilli & green banana chilli (optional). Cook until veg colours slightly and starts to soften.
- Add cardamom pods curry powder, garam masala saffron strands (optional) & curry leaves.
- Add raisins, then coconut milk, stir then add veg stock add a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Stir then place on lid, and put into oven at 180c for 25-30min. let side for 5min.
- Remove lid then add lemon and lime juice/zest, place roasted cauliflower, red onion & mushrooms on top, sprinkle on chopped dill & coriander.
- Lay down 4 bowls, and put baby spinach down. Spoon on biryani roast veg mix. Sprinkle roast sweet potato around plate. Sprinkle on roasted chopped cashew nuts.
- On the side of the bowl place a spoon of mango chutney, lime pickle, coconut yoghurt.
- Serve with a golden crispy poppadum.